Monday, January 24, 2011

Kekkonshiki and Kasal

Since my stay in the Philippines, I have attended weddings and receptions three times.  I was surprised that the bride and groom don't ask for monetary gifts.  Instead, both bride and groom pay for all their expenses.

   I told some of my Filipino friends, "We have a custom of giving monetary gifts if we attend wedding receptions.  It is expected that we give about P15,000.00 pesos as gift to the newly married couple."  Their reaction would be: " Really? Then I will not attend if we have to give something just to attend the reception."

    
  In Japan we celebrate birthdays but in a way opposite the way it is done in the Philippines.  Japanese friends will pay for all the expenses of your birthday party.  All you have to do is to enjoy your birthday. 

We have different ways of paying for the expenses of weddings and birthday parties but whoever pays for these events,  our attendance should be a cause for celebration.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment